Thursday, May 17, 2012

I vs. We

'An unabashedly shameless person, that's what he is and I like him for that'
I could just nod my head in agreement. Everything he does is high on histrionics with gimmicks, the usual posing Facebook updates. Its like he has an audience and every time he needs to entertain them, surprise them, shock them. Get people to talk about him.
But he was past that amateur phase, he was plain unabashed. He did what he wanted and lived by the simple credo to try almost everything new under the sun. So he was different from the tribe which lives by the credo to live and act for the audience around.
Some try desperately to impress the audience around, some try desperately to please the audience around, some look for approval and validation. Its almost parasitic how we live for that audience. He had cut himself free from the stifling bonds and with a detached air he lived his life. Love him or loath him, he's impervious. I remember reading, 'its easy to get pity, jealousy on the other hand needs to be earned'. And believe it or not some part of the civil society is jealous of his willful freedom and his scant disregard of the latter.
The character, Howard Roark (Fountainhead) made me actually wonder about the individual and the collective identity of ours. The Indian philosophy of 'ahama brahmasmi' talked about a bigger I, one that encompasses the entire universe. For me the idea of Howard Roark was the antithesis of this belief. The only common ground that I could think was, 'integrity'.
Having that 'self integrity' almost blurs the line between those extreme choices of life. Simply put self integrity is when we are not some sell-outs. We know the motivation about our actions and it aligns with what we truly think and feel. Its not corrupted or influenced by the need of approval by the audience around.
Its a tough place to reach, but when you reach there you can truly shout out. "I am what I am!'.

This small piece is a lame attempt to deconstruct the human psychology. I would really love to read and write something really insightful. Till then its random thoughts like this. Honestly every individual you meet has something unique about him, something unique ticking inside him motivating his every move. Its interesting to observe the behavior, although its difficult to put your finger down on the motivation part. Somehow 'motivation' is a little fickle, it changes for people frequently. Talk of finding a way to live with the idiosyncrasies and fickleness of people, it is a whole new chapter which brings to mind a whole lot of 'ex-room-mates' and some 'current roommates'!

2 comments:

  1. I am CONFUSED after reading this...is it about "I" ?? if it is, where is "WE" then ?? and if it is about "WE", then again where is "WE" in this ?? :p too much to ask I guess...

    ReplyDelete
  2. 'We' is more about the idea of conformance and 'I' is the idea of an individualistic approach to life.
    It is about how 'I' try/defy to conform to a collective 'WE'. It is about how/why 'I' choose to do a certain thing a certain way with/without trying to fit into a 'WE'.
    Thoda confusing hai and I just followed my chain of thoughts which made me talk about three things, may be I'll explore each idea separately in next blog.
    haha.. pado leekho samjho!!!

    ReplyDelete