Thursday, November 17, 2011

Resemblances


Do we seek out for them or they just jump out to us? I am more inclined to believe that we try to seek out for them. At certain points of your life when you are unsure of which direction to take you seek consolation in the slightest resemblance of your predicament you see around. There may be real people but if you have a real good imagination then you can look up to characters from a novel or movie or TV series characters.  I am not sure if you should applaud your imagination for figuring out that uncanny resemblance or pity yourself for seeking out fictitious pillars of support. We like to believe that we are strong and rational but we are fragile and irrational at the same time. So we are willing to believe in a make belief world only to make sense of the situation that you find yourself in.
I wish I could dismiss this just as an over activity of my mind. However I can’t and I’m here to argue my case. The imagined characters we see, read about evolve out of someone’s own experiences at some point of time. They do have an iota of truth about them and there can be a possibility that that truth resonates with your own belief. Art comes closest to life when people can actually relate to it in personal terms. So I would say it is good art if it can make that relation and strike that resemblance. Moving from pure art to commercial movies and soaps, don’t sneer just as well because I was someone who did that just a few days back and then I realized I’m also culpable to believing that sometimes your life, your personality comes close to some fictitious character on the idiot boss.
However nature is just not good at creating identicals, it doesn’t repeat its code. The closest it allows are resemblances, certain similar traits, but then the parts don’t add up to identical wholes. So it’s just about fleeting or uncanny resemblances and nothing more. The rest from here is your own imagination. And just like that a moment of your life may have a little resemblance with a character on the TV. And just like that you build comradeship with a certain character in the make belief world. And you wait to watch what happens next J

No comments:

Post a Comment