Saturday, January 14, 2012

A Journey A Day 1

The initial plan was to base camp in LA and then to be in San Diego around Christmas, be back in LA for New Year and then fly back. So much for the plan, I was in San Diego before Christmas and LA wasn’t an option to stay any longer.  I didn’t want to overstay the invite in San Diego(SD) so I contemplated flying back to Chicago OR OR (HIMYM style) I could go on a road trip to San Francisco(SF) and beyond. That’s what I did.

First I was to travel to Ventura where I would meet up with the true Roadstar-R (not as in Rockstar but one who knows the roads and places very well!).  I was well advised to take the train route and not the bus route as the train goes all along the pacific coast and it is a treat to gaze along.  But what do you do when you find that the only available seat is on the right hand side, when the ocean side is on your left. You can try to peer outside, only till the time the blessed soul on the left doesn’t pull the curtains across.  So I was glued to my laptop sitcom collection for the 4:00 hr ride.

Roadstar-R had a good laugh at my cost, for I didn’t get to see the pacific all along, the wifi in the train was not working and the train was also delayed due to larger volume of passengers and longer stops.  Once he was done laughing he took me to see the sunset at Ventura pier (was by now aware of the American obsession with pier)
 

 
At Ventura I saw the ocean in all its moods- a calm sunset when I walked along listening and singing old Hindi songs. Another evening when the waters were at their restless best, it was overwhelming to see the water cave in before it rose into a huge wave and surged across. Then another afternoon in the small shipyard where I could have happily dozed off if not for the breeze and my constant talking. At Ventura the beach was more personal to the locals; there weren’t the typical tourists but regular people walking their dogs, playing with their kids, going out for a jog. There were the more ‘posh’ RV tourists who lazed around in their own foldable gears with iced beers around. Chronologically aforementioned afternoons and evenings were once I was back from SF and then again back from SD before leaving CA.




We started for SF early morning, Ventura to SF is close to 360 miles and we had our lunch waiting at a newlywed college couple’s place. No wedding gifts for them instead we almost got them to cancel their Vegas trip and join us for a road trip to Grand Canyon. Grand Canyon might have to wait a little more, because I am sure we made more than 3 aborted plans this time. For the evening and the next day, it was SF touring. I saw the golden bridge in the dark, in the afternoon and I happily opted to imagine it at sunrise! The city looked beautiful with Christmas lights and I had my fair share of them at all the major landmarks. The other attraction is the SF port with its multiple piers. It’s a delight walking along the bay front and watch all kinds of street performances. This place is also a culinary delight for sea food lovers (I could tell that from the smell I could barely stand!). However the city has food for every taste and i had my fill of Indian food with Thumbs up while reminiscing good old engg-college day. The brick apartment with fire escapes, the trams, the narrow lanes that dive and rise freakishly, the city has its own character- the ‘city of gays and gypsies’-my friends version who lived there. A popular quote for the city reads as "The coldest winter I ever spent was a summer in San Francisco.", the city has quirky weather, heterogeneous population, undercurrent of liberal and cultural activism- the city is alive!







The next destination was Lake Tahoe, we reached there because Roadstar-R believed in going where ever his ‘gaadi’ took him. The co-passengers didn’t complain, we alternatively dozed in the back seat and dutifully kept awake while on the front seat.

I guess I’m sleepy now to continue about Tahoe and the Pacific Coast Highway-PCH drive. I’ll continue tomorrow and may be ramble less!

No comments:

Post a Comment