Thursday, March 29, 2012

City Post Card- Sao Paulo,Brazil

From the city sunbathing, relaxing and basking in all of nature's glory to the world's third largest city boasting of high rises, non-stop traffic, the biggest names and the riches. We were in Sao Paulo and already nostalgic about the beaches in Rio!

I would say its unfair to compare the two cities because they represent two different social, cultural and business dimensions. In all developing countries if you look closely at the cities you can sense their aspiration to grow into the 'Chicago's' and 'Beijing's of the world! And many a times in their pursuit to grow big, they become immensely chaotic. Sao Paulo was big but it looked sublime and beautiful as the roots still looked intact. The occasional regal Portuguese building reminded of the history, the ancient clock towers, the graffiti on the walls conspicuous and uninhibited, the local shops and shopping complex. It wasn't a sold out city copying the west, it held its own.

I would say unless you take a public transport and go around the city by your own, you haven't really experienced the city. By this parameter I'll marginally make the cut, as I took the subway once. Raising the bar higher, I would say unless you get lost and have to ask around to find your way back you haven't really seen the city. Unfortunately I cannot get past this caveat, and so I can make an honest admission that I don't feel I experienced the city to its fullest.

We went around a little in the business circles in Sao Paulo, did the customary visit to the stock exchange(MBA students!), went for a tree planting exercise at IPE (forest-wildlife research center). Had social events every single night of our stay there, which is again a good way to get to know people in an informal setting. So we visited the most fancy bar, and sat there dry mouthed after the first few wows! The last night bar-crawl was crazy fun. Sitting in my hometown nestled in the hills, I would have never imagined myself to walk in that crowd but then there I was. Somehow the idea of enjoying life is slightly restricted in our Indian society when compared to western society. I am sure this statement is bound to raise eyebrows, but you have to experience the intoxication of 'the freedom to do things as you want'- to sing, to dance, to talk, to laugh without caring of any judgement. Its 'another side of happiness'. Temporal happiness is not immoral- there has to be a good vibe to it! 'Good vibe' is essential, trees need that even more than the technical skill of planting- we learnt this lesson while planting trees in the reserve. Nature wired us in such a way that we can unmistakably perceive the good old vibe!

Time for a little detour and from Sao Paulo, we visited the city of Belo Horizonte for our client presentation. It was wonderful to have a dialogue instead of a formal presentation. We were sitting and talking, I absolutely loved the frank openness and the hospitality. The city again had its own flavor, it could transfigure to host the business circles, it had hills and waters to lure the free spirited adventure lovers, it had beautiful old style buildings for history lovers and it was poised to host the biggest sporting extravaganza come 2014!

There was the soccer museum in Sao Paulo, the Havaianas shopping, the Arabica bean coffee, a lot of things that I remember and love about the city. But then its time to move again and as I wheeled along my stroller for baggage check in, a funny thought came to my mind. I thought of the one thing that has been a constant in my life, traveled continents with me and has been with me so far..yes its my black stroller!
Cheers to all the journey's so far and to the journey's ahead :)

1 comment: