Sunday, March 11, 2012

Words of Wisdom


Sometimes, if you stand on the bottom rail of a bridge and lean over to watch the river slipping slowly away beneath you, you will suddenly know everything there is to be known.”- Winnie the Pooh.

I am sometimes surprised with how much I remember of the pooh. For all his innocent simplicity, he sometimes comes to my mind in the sagest ways! And sometimes I remember him simply for how he spoke certain words in his own laid back style. There was a play I was acting in school, one of my dialogue started as ‘Oh dear!’ and I tried to copy the pooh style, dee--arr, to rhyme with tig—eer. My English teacher thought that I was trying to bring in a British accent, I just played along, whatever makes people happy!

Going back to the sage pooh, I wanted to talk of random wisdom that comes your way from unexpected quarters. You feel truly humbled when someone goes out of his way to help you out. This was one such moment and I thanked him to go wait for my bus and he ran to catch his passing bus, then almost prophetically he said something exactly what my father always tells me.’ Keep faith in the power above, he’ll watch over!’  I stood in the interview suit and this somewhat old person just walked in and shaking hands with me wished me luck. Then as he closed the door, cheerfully quipped, ‘Whatever you do, have fun!’

The wisdom of these words is most profound because it wasn’t intended to be, they were just honest words and perhaps honesty is more powerful than all the wisdom of the world. Perhaps simplicity is more powerful than the pretentious charade of big thought leaders. Perhaps you have to hit the bottom most pit so as to feel uplifted once again.

From worldly wisdom to love, Pooh again is the sagest of all,
If you live to be 100, I hope I live to be 100 minus 1 day, so I never have to live without you.” He knows his math well. “If there ever comes a day when we can't be together; keep me in your heart, I'll stay there forever”.  He’s no ordinary pooh to imagine 100 as the biggest number, he can think as far as infinity. His statements are just as eloquent as Pablo 
                                            
Love Sonnet XVII by Pablo Neruda

I do not love you as if you were a salt rose, or topaz
or the arrow of carnations the fire shoots off.
I love you as certain dark things are to be loved,
in secret, between the shadow and the soul.

I love you as the plant that never blooms
but carries in itself the light of hidden flowers;
thanks to your love a certain solid fragrance,
risen from the earth, lives darkly in my body.

I love you without knowing how, or when, or from where.
I love you straightforwardly, without complexities or pride;
So I love you because I know no other way
than this: where I does not exist, nor you,
so close that your hand on my chest is my hand,
so close that your eyes close as I fall asleep.

“It is more fun to talk with someone who doesn't use long, difficult words but rather short, easy words like "What about lunch?"”-Winnie the Pooh, time I get my lunch :)

No comments:

Post a Comment