Tuesday, June 19, 2012

Sun and shadows part-II



" That was a memorable day to me, for it made great changes in me. But, it is the same with life. Imagine one selected day struck out of it and think how different its course would have been. Pause you who read this, and think for a moment of the long chain of iron or gold, of thorns and flowers, that would never have bound you, but for the formation of the first link on one such memorable day.."- Great Expectation, Charles Dickens.

I have a deep fondness for this book, and many a times in life the lines from this book seem to just play out in my life or may be I chose to see it that ways. I would say these words were just apt exactly a year ago. It was a memorable day that stood apart from the rest 364days. ‘In the long chain of iron or gold of thorns and flowers’ that bound me for a year that was the first link. However it is the poignancy of the end that resonates even more strongly for me. It’s a good bye with a certain warmth that is hard to miss.

 “And will continue friends apart,’ said Estella.
I took her hand in mine, and we went out of the ruined place; and, as the morning mists had risen long ago when I first left the forge, so, the evening mists were rising now, and in all the broad expanse of tranquil light they showed to me, I saw no shadow of another parting from her. .."- Great Expectation, Charles Dickens.

This post is exactly a year after the sun and shadows post, at times you just need someone else’s words to say the same thing. Well perhaps it would look weird to even say the same thing again but then for some people this is their own way to honor that ‘link’ and then gently break free and say goodbye…
Simply put it’s not easy for me to say goodbye!

No comments:

Post a Comment